What is your love language?
In this month’s MomTribe meet up of Millennial Moms PH, the beautiful and soft-spoken Mommy Rhona Remo discussed The Five Languages of Love by Mr. Gary Chapman and the role it plays in building a harmonious relationship.
Honestly, I’ve already heard about this love language before but I never really paid attention to it. In my mind, there’s no need to go in depth to identify if someone loves you or not because you just feel it. I was wrong. After the talk, I realized that there are so many ways one can express and experience love. Our love language depends on our personality, thus what my way of showing love may be completely different from how my husband perceives love. I definitely learned a lot from this meaningful talk so let me share some valuable lessons with you 🙂
Here are the five languages of love according to Mr. Chapman:
- Gifts – Some people show love by being thoughtful enough to give gifts, oftentimes, these people also consider receiving gifts as an act of love.
- Quality Time – Giving your spouse undivided attention. This can be a challenge these days since, most of the time, we hold our phones while talking. I’m guilty of this. My husband and I are guilty of this. We talk to each other while browsing our phone and that’s not right. Here are some ways we can try to improve our quality time together as shared by Mommy Rhona: Maintain eye contact, Listen and do not do anything else, Listen for feelings, Observe body language, Refuse to interrupt
- Words of Affirmation – Saying positive things about your spouse to build them up.
- Act of Service – Doing something for your spouse to please them (e.g. doing the laundry, washing the dishes, cooking for them and all other acts of service)
- Physical Touch – Holding hands, hugging, kissing and making love <3
Mommy Rhona had everyone take a personality test to figure out what our primary love language is. I kinda regret that I didn’t encourage my husband to attend with me so he wasn’t able to take the test.
Anyhoo, my languages of love are Quality time and Words of Affirmation and this is so true! I mean, I mentioned about using our phones while spending time together but I’m always the one to recommend that we put our phone down to talk. My decision to work at home is even my way of showing love to Allyka since I want to spend quality time with her.
Words of affirmation, on the other hand, speak a lot to me too. Just before I leave the house earlier, my husband told me that he was reading my blog and “Ang galing mo pala magsulat hon”. I know I’m not that good of a writer but that means so much to me. His simple words of affirmation made me feel loved.
The problem, however, is that our love language (I think) does not match. Allan’s more of an act of service guy. He likes doing chores for me, to make me feel loved. He likes spending hours cooking good food to show how much he loves me while I feel bad when he doesn’t spend time me. I just realized that I often misunderstood his act of love since we don’t have the same love language. This is something that we need to work on. Anyway, my awesome husband promised to take the test and discuss how we could work on understanding each other’s love language. <3
In summary, I realized that my husband and I aren’t perfect and so is our marriage but, we become better in time by learning and trying 🙂
Thank you, Millennial Moms, for this wonderful event. This is already my third Mom Tribe event but it’s my first time to attend as a blog partner. Needless to say, I had fun with my mommy friends and I’m so glad to have met more mommy friends. Everyone was nice and approachable! 😊
Other than all the fun and learnings, we also got to take home amazing loot bags all thanks to the brand sponsors.
So, if you have been living under a shell and does not know who and what Millennial Moms is, check out my post about them a few months ago.
In the meantime, thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you learned as much as I did. How about you mommy? What do you think is your love language? Share it with me in the comments below 🙂